September 2003 to August 2005
“Summer Session” Festival ///// Event Manager & Treasurer at Rising Suns, crossboarder cultural association, based in Strasbourg / Kehl since 1997 on the regions of Alsace (FR) and Ortenau (GE) organizing workshops, exhibitions, shows, meetings between artists, parties and the Summer Session Festival since 1999.
It all began in november 1997, with the first of every first friday of the month, in a ex-local of border crossing. Hiphop meetings gathered there regional actors of the 4 elements (breakdance, dj, graffiti, mc’s). 30 Rising Suns’ members, aged 17 to 27, from various nationalities among which French, German, Swiss, Turkish, American, Chilian, or Islandese participated as artists in various international festivals (Bienne, Aubagne, Stuttgart, Paris, ect…). We also used to broadcast a weekly programm on the associative local radio (RBS 91.9 FM, on saturdays from 16h to 18h). The Summer Session gathered on a symbolic place – the French-German border on the feet of the European Bridge – young passionated europeans and some of the world’s most renowned activists and pioneers around positive hiphop culture during 7 years, up to 2005.
In the tradition of the NYC original jams, the public of the Summer Session could actively participate, share knowledge and test one’s skills thanks to the many spaces open to freestyles: dance floor, graffiti walls, open mics.
The association Rising Suns collaborated with many other collectives, associations and institutions across Europe to set-up the event. The festival Summer Session knew a growing success since its beginning in 1999. The Summer Session project was awarded in 2000 by the french Ministery of Culture and Youth (National winner “Young challenge”). Granted by the European Commission, the Oberrhein Konferenz, or the Alsace Region, the Rising Suns association received a good media coverage. Many reports were broadcasted on ARTE, France télévision and the TV-show Européos on France 3.
My responsabilities as Event-Manager included:
– Team-leading (10 members + 20 volonteers)
– Budgeting, planning, coordinating tasks, contracting artists
– Follow-up of the media campaign and the creation of the new edition’s website
– Public Relations with grantmakers and press (Cities of Strasbourg/ Kehl, Regions)
– Administrative and logistical follow-up
– Budget : 50’000 € , 3’500+ visitors
Artists on various editions
- Groups & Dj’s: Saian Supa Crew, Dj Mehdi (R.I.P), Jazzanova, Arsonists, Celestial Souljah, 4Hero, BugzIntheAttic, Dj Dee Nasty, Assassin, Triptik, Psy4 de la rime, La Cosca, Tekilatex (TTC), Kourtrajmé crew, Mark Rae & Veba, Kila Kela & Spitkingdom crew, Afrob, Massive Töne, DSL, Dj Pone & Crazy B (now Birdy Nam Nam), La Ruffneck Smala, and many other local groups
- Graffiti artists: T-KID 170, Kacao 77, Kent, Rime (KCW), JayOne (BBC), Scien&Klor (123Klan), Dare (R.I.P), and so on & on…